When you think of necessary nursery items for a new baby, bassinets may not be the first thing that comes to mind.
But maybe you’re looking for a portable place for your baby to sleep that isn’t as big as a crib. Or maybe you’ve decided co-sleeping with your infant is what works for you, and you’re looking for a practical way to do it. If so, perhaps it’s time to consider a bassinet.
What is a bassinet?
Tried, tested, and true, bassinets have a history that spans centuries. Used with newborn infants in their first few months, bassinets were traditionally basket-like, lined with a soft bedding designed to keep a baby snug, and small enough to transport with ease. The first bassinets had no legs and were kept near the parents’ beds while baby slept. So, what is it about bassinets that has stood the test of time?
Modern bassinets encompass the same overarching function of keeping your newborn snug and nearby while they sleep, but have also changed in ways that suit different needs and modern parenting styles. Although traditional bassinets are available, most contemporary bassinets have legs, are made of a variety lightweight, but sturdy, and easy-to-clean materials, come equipped advanced functions, and don’t look anything like woven baskets.
What should you consider when buying a bassinet?
Although used more commonly and for longer periods of time, cribs can have their own limitations including bulkiness, too much space for a newborn, and lack of portability.
Bassinets are significantly smaller than cribs and provide extra coziness without the use of extra blankets and bedding, though not every bassinet is right for everyone. Before choosing which is right for you, there are several factors to consider, including:
Baby’s growth: Bassinets are designed for use during the first few months of your new bub’s life, or until they reach around 25 pounds. The growth of your baby can be a tricky thing to guess, but most babies should fit more than comfortably for at least three to four months in their bassinet.
Budget: Prices can vary quite a bit for bassinets. Know your absolute maximum price tag before beginning to shop.
Design: We know that baby’s comfort comes first, but what if you could have both fashion and function? There are several beautiful and practical bassinet options on the market.
Features: Does it swing? Is it portable? Does it come with a cover? Bassinets can come with all kinds of extra features, and it helps to determine which are important to you and baby.
Keeping all these factors in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the best bassinets on the market. We analyzed Amazon product descriptions and reviews, Consumer Reports, and used our own Blueprint rating system to determine an overall score for each of our favorite bassinets.
Best Bassinets: Score Sheet
|Bassinets||Amazon Score||Blueprint Score||Overall Score|
|Dream On Me Karley Bassinet||4.5||4.4||4.5|
|Graco® Dream Suite Bassinet||4.0||4.3||4.1|
|UPPAbaby® VISTA/CRUZ Bassinet||4.5||4.0||4.4|
|HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet||4.0||4.4||4.1|
|Chicco LullaGo Deluxe Bassinet||4.5||4.2||4.4|
|SNOO Smart Sleeper by Happiest Baby||4.5||4.3||4.5|
Dream On Me Karley Bassinet
“It’s super portable, just folds right up and even has a little storage compartment underneath. I would recommend for anyone!” -Kami, Amazon Reviewer
- Designed for newborns up to three months, or the standard maximum weight of 25 pounds
- Includes a one-inch mattress, allowing space for additional padding to cradle your baby
- One of the most affordable price points
- Two-in-one locking legs and swivel casters function
- Easily move between rooms in your house or to take along on a family outing
- Comes with attached adjustable canopy
- The Dream on Me Karley Bassinet may be too small for bigger babies, as they may grow out of it too quickly
- Some reviewers claimed the mattress is a bit thin and a thicker mattress may be needed for prolonged use
- The attached adjustable canopy cannot be removed
“Our daughter slept in it since we brought her home from the hospital till she outgrew it at five months (she is a long baby). It seems very comfortable for babies to sleep in and is very portable while being sturdy.” -Olesia, Amazon Reviewer
- Parents love the Baby Bjorn’s gentle rocking feature
- Soft, transparent mesh sides are gentle and breathable for your baby and allows you to see each other through it
- JPMA certification
- Weighs only 13 pounds, and is easy to move around the house
- Can comfortably sleep a baby anywhere from 7 to 17 pounds
- Flexible, bowed feet allow you to press down to gently bounce bassinet and calm fussy baby
- Designed with no bars on its sides, ensuring no part of your baby can get stuck in between them
- Gently and smoothly rocks to calm your baby or lull them to sleep
- Simple, sleek design is will look great in any home
- One of the pricier models on our list
- Possible to rock the cradle a bit too hard and startle baby
- Fitted sheet is available, but for separate purchase
Graco® Dream Suite Bassinet
“The flip system to turn it into a changing table was perfect during the day. We would use it as a changing table and at night we would flip it back into the bassinet for sleeping. Great product.” -Canaan, Amazon Reviewer
- The Dream Suite Bassinet holds a baby up to three months in its cozy bedding
- Has 2-speed vibration options to lull your baby to sleep
- Easy to pack up and move around, and a breeze to clean with a damp towel
- Great for travel as it also swivels to include a changing table that holds up to 30 pounds
- Wheels on each leg allow for easy mobility, and also lock into place
- Includes a spacious storage basket
- Slight learning curve for converting into a changing table, and vice versa. Can be difficult with only one hand
- Mattress is a too bit thin for some reviewers
- First-time assembly can be a bit tricky
UPPAbaby® VISTA/CRUZ Bassinet
“We have the Cruz stroller and car seat, which are all awesome, so we decided to get bassinet. I love everything about it!” -Amazon Reviewer
- Ultra-lightweight and easy to carry with convenient handle
- Can hold and carry a baby up to 20 pounds
- Compatible with UPPAbaby 2015-2017 Vista and Cruz stroller models, adding to its overall function and portability
- Comes with ventilated lining, bug net, and adjustable 50+ SPF extendable sunshade
- Bassinet stand (sold separately) can be converted to hamper for laundry once baby outgrows the bassinet
- Has been thoroughly tested and approved for overnight sleeping
- The maximum weight is 20 pounds, so many babies can outgrow the bassinet quickly
- The bassinet stand, and hamper liner are both sold separately
HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet
“One of the best features of the HALO Bassinest is how it offers parents a safe but at the same time an extremely convenient way of co-sleeping.” -Lindsay, Amazon Reviewer
- The HALO Bassinet swivel sleeper is a great option for parents interested in easy and practical co-sleeping
- The basket rotates and swivels 360 degrees to easily pull baby towards you, or gently move aside so you can get out of bed
- The height-adjustable, easy-lock front wall helps get baby in and out of the bassinet without fumbling
- The base is also height-adjustable to match the height of your bed, ranging from 22-34 inches
- Mattress is non-toxic, waterproof, and JPMA certified
- Comes with storage pocket and machine-washable fitted sheet
- Recommended for babies up to 5 months old
- One of the heavier bassinets on our list (47 pounds) and may not be as easy to move around the house
- Has long feet, which take up more floor real estate
- If you have a very low bed, even the lowest basket setting may be too tall
Chicco LullaGo Deluxe Bassinet
“We travel a lot, so I wanted something that would travel well but also that would work for an everyday bedside bassinet. This does the trick.” -Ashlee, Amazon Reviewer
- Easy and quick assembly—basket comes whole and non-slip legs just snap right on
- Super lightweight at just 17 pounds
- Comes with matching storage bag and packs up for the jetset family
- Mesh ventilated windows allow ventilation while baby sleeps, and lets them see you while they lie awake
- All materials can be removed from the frame for machine-washing
- Some reviewers noted that once folded up, the legs didn’t quite fit into the carry bag
- Because of its weight and portability, it’s legs are not quite as sturdy as other models
SNOO Smart Sleeper by Happiest Baby
“He went from waking every 1-2 hours to doing 5 hour stretches. Naps got longer. It taught him how to sleep and now that he is out of it, he still is a good sleeper!” -Sadiecat, Amazon Reviewer
- Fabrics are all 100% organic cotton, ventilated mesh to prevent overheating
- Options for rocking, swaying, white noise, and gentle shushing are all controlled through your smartphone
- Bassinet detects early signs of fussiness and crying, and uses programmable white noise and gentle motions to lull them back to sleep, saving you a trip out of bed
- Comes with swaddle clips to gently hold baby in the bassinet, and ensure they stay on their back the whole night/nap, 3 SNOO swaddle sacks (3 sizes available), and a fitted sheet
- Intended for use up to 6 months of age
- SNOO’s technology claims to help baby learn to “self-soothe” based on the bassinet’s cues, and reduces the need for “cry it out” sleep training later
- Smartphone app is very intuitive and responsive
- This bassinet is an investment—not everyone’s budget will allow this bassinet as an option
- Some reviewers claimed the higher soothing levels were too vigorous for their baby
- The sheets and swaddles may run a bit small
Bassinet options are aplenty and you’ll want to choose a bassinet that’s right for your baby and your parenting style. We want new parents to know they have all the information needed to make the best bassinet buying decision for their growing family, because it never hurts to have one less thing to think about. Plus, we all know how it goes—when baby sleeps, you get some well-earned downtime.